Yesterday I was about ready to quit again - fed up of feeling exhausted beyond belief and prepping for lessons which don't even get taught because I'm too busy dealing with behaviour management...Last lesson yesterday was with the infamous Year 9s which I had been dreading just a little...Within the first 10 minutes, two of the most difficult pupils had already been removed to on call after refusing to do any work, then refusing to move seats (warning two of the school's behavioural policy), then refusing alternative classroom. It was basically a shambles the entire way through, partly due to my planning faults (such as my objective not being clear) and partly due to their terrible behaviour. I ended up in school until 6pm helping emails be sent about the lesson and an incident which occurred towards the end of class. Then I made a quick dinner and worked on lesson plans until around 10.30pm when I decided sleep was more important...Woke up at 6am to finish a lesson plan and powerpoint, and finally made it to first lesson this morning.
The lesson was bliss. The students were a dream. Well behaved, listened, didn't talk over me, shut up when I asked them to listen, got on with their work, worked well in groups, didn't complain about their groupings, were productive, and were able to say at the end of the lesson how they had met their objective! Success!
And then I was back in the classroom for third lesson with the very, very weak Year 7s. I was a little concerned about what level to pitch the lesson at, and how much content to have. Turns out I hit it just about right. The best part was that the headmaster suddenly entered the room about 3/4 of the way through the lesson as he's been making classroom visits recently...Fortunately the students had been completing a task so they were working quite quietly, and were able to feedback to him exactly what they were doing and what they had learnt! So from my terrible paired observation on Monday, and the 'incident' yesterday, to the headmaster wandering into productivity and learning and poetry today it's been a whirlwind week!!!
And then I was back in the classroom for third lesson with the very, very weak Year 7s. I was a little concerned about what level to pitch the lesson at, and how much content to have. Turns out I hit it just about right. The best part was that the headmaster suddenly entered the room about 3/4 of the way through the lesson as he's been making classroom visits recently...Fortunately the students had been completing a task so they were working quite quietly, and were able to feedback to him exactly what they were doing and what they had learnt! So from my terrible paired observation on Monday, and the 'incident' yesterday, to the headmaster wandering into productivity and learning and poetry today it's been a whirlwind week!!!
No more teaching this week, so I'm taking time to plan for next week's classes and try and get ahead of myself a little, observing an MFL lesson, and arranging to shadow a Head of Year for the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment